Friday 14 November 2014

‘Scene’ at Euro Bus Expo 2014 Part 9

I have been attending these shows for some years now and I am always impressed with the effort that manufacturers put into their products.

 

I will not attempt to cover the show in any great detail. That has and will be done by the professional magazines. Instead, I will focus on the bits that appealed to me.

 

This concluding part covers the remaining bits and pieces.

 

DFB 704D

 

A ‘London General Omnibus Company’ (LGOC) ‘B’ type replica. Owned and operated by 

‘Hearson Heritage Tours’ of Nottingham, it came complete with driver who was dressed in authentic World War One uniform.

 

The ‘B’ type (known as Ole Bill) went from working on the streets of London to being troop carriers on the Western Front in the early days of World War One. 

 

1,200 of the buses (and their drivers) were commandeered by the War Office in 1914. The drivers were still dressed in their ‘LGOC’ uniforms.

 

The bus is based on a Bedford chassis.


P1160567

 

One of the outside exhibits was this Sunsundegui bodied coach on a Volvo B13R chassis.


Marketed as the SC7 the frontal design seems to bear a strong likeness to the Caetano Levante bodied coaches currently in widespread use with ‘National Express’.


P1160423

 

The Spanish coachbuilder UNVI generally has something interesting in the show. This year it was the Voyager GT body built on a Mercedes-Benz Atego chassis. 

 

The Atego being a truck derived chassis which is being promoted as a replacement for the Vario now that production of the Vario has ceased.


P1160431

 

Yutong are reported to be the biggest producer of buses and coaches in the World. I have seen figures quoting 1,000 chassis per week being produced.

 

There were other Yutong coaches inside but this caught my eye in the outside display area.

 

This is the the TC-9 and with a seating capacity of 35, it can also be considered a Mercedes-Benz Vario replacement.


P1160437

 

A newly re-styled Enviro 200 was on the Alexander Dennis Ltd. stand.


P1160479

 

Irizar have done well with sales of the i6. The full size version was in attendance but this shorter version caught my eye. 

 

I like the body styling but I am not sure that in the shorter version that the body length to the feature pillar makes it look all front.


P1160560

 

 

Another bus from Nu-Track was the Nu-Vibe. aimed at the welfare market, the Nu-Vibe uses the body shell of the successful Wright ‘Streetlite W/F’. (Nu-Track being part of the Wright group).

 

The thing I noticed was that it picks up on the body styling of the Wright ‘Streetdeck’. Take a  look at the lower edge of the windscreen and the panelling below it.


P1160580

 

The ‘Streetlite WF’s big brother the ‘Streetdeck’. This one is going to Northern Ireland operator ‘Translink’.


P1160587

 

Earlier on this year on the 2nd. of June, I posted a blog about ‘First’ bus in Hanley.

I speculated on rumours that ‘First Potteries’ were about to introduce a variation on the standard ‘First Group’ livery that personally I have always disliked.

 

The image below shows how that variaton now looks. Basically a bus of two halves. The rear end is still identifiable as ‘First’ but the front end now sports a strong colour and clear identification.

 

NOW, if only we can get the back end re-painted.....!


P1160590

 

The Temsa Safari.


I always thought that this Turkish built coach would do well but I think that the ones I have seen’out and about’ can be counted on my fingers. A shame really, I always thought it an attractive coach.

 

P1160607

YX54 VOO

One of Alexander Dennis Ltd. New Enviro 400’s that has gone up in the World. I wonder what the next year will bring for it and will it still be looking down on the competition from on high this time next year?

 

Only time will tell.


P1160592

No comments:

Post a Comment